NASCAR driver Michael Annett announced on Wednesday that he will retire as a fulltime driver at the conclusion of the 2021 Xfinity Series.
The 35-year-old, is in his fifth year in the Xfinity Series competing with JR Motorsports. However, this season he has missed seven which include the past two as he was recovering from July surger to repair a stress fracture in his right femur.
Josh Berry has been serving as a replacement for Michael Annett driving his No. 1 Chevrolet and even earned a victory at Las Vegas with the team last month.
A representative to Annett told the media about his plans to compete in the final five races of the 2021 NASCAR Xfinity season.
“I’m just so grateful for the opportunities I’ve had,” Annett said in a statement.
“Being able to drive race cars for a living is honestly a dream come true for me. It’s been a privilege to work with some great teams and alongside some of the most talented folks in the garage.”
“None of this would have been possible without the support of my partners, and I am happy to call them life-long friends. It’s those relationships and friendships that are the most rewarding.”
Annett who hails from Des Moines, Iowa, earned his only NASCAR national series victory back in 2019 after winning the Xfinity Series season opener at Daytona International Speedway.
He has made 431 race starts across the Cup, Xfinity and Truck series. He also owns a pair of victories in the ARCA Menards Series (2007 at Talladega and 2008 at Daytona).