Ecclestone claims Massa’s legal action is ‘for the money’

Ecclestone claims Massa's legal action is 'for the money'

F1 and the FIA are the targets of Felipe Massa’s legal action, which, according to Bernie Ecclestone, is “only about money” as he aims to have the results of the 2008 world championship overturned.

Massa has mobilized a team of lawyers and launched legal action against Formula 1 and the organization that governs the sport, claiming that he was the victim of a conspiracy carried out by those at the highest ranks of F1 along with the FIA.

According to London-based Enyo Law firm, which is representing the Brazilian driver, Massa suffered significant financial losses totaling tens of millions of euros as a result of forfeited wages and bonuses.

This was as a result of the intentional collision caused by the Renault team in the 2008 Singapore GP and which turned into controversy in 2009.

An FIA investigation into Nelson Piquet Jr.’s crash later on, indicated the set up nature of the crash.

The governing body determined in 2009 that team boss Flavio Briatore, Renault director of engineering Pat Symonds, and Nelson Piquet Jr. collaborated to trigger the crash and later on a safety car for an advantage.

The incident was very important in changing the starting order of the race and giving Renault driver Fernando Alonso the edge that helped him win.

McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton overcame Massa in the championship battle final round in Brazil by a single point. Hamilton would not have won the championship as Massa would have done so had the bogus Singapore race not been included in the season’s standings.

The comments made earlier this year by former F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone about what happened behind the scenes after that year’s controversial event at Marina Bay led to Massa’s unexpected legal action over the disputed outcome of the 2008 title battle, fifteen years later.

Ecclestone stated in an interview that was published in April of last year on the German website F1-Insider that he and former FIA president Max Mosley were fully aware of what happened in Singapore at the time.

However, they decided to ignore the incident in an effort to “protect the sport” and to postpone an official investigation until the year that followed, when it would be impossible to overturn the championship’s outcome.

Ecclestone has subsequently denied his previous statements to F1-Insider, claiming he doesn’t recall the conversation.

Ecclestone also expressed his opinions on Massa’s legal action in a piece that was published on Tuesday by Switzerland’s Blick.

“The Massa clan only cares about money,” said the former F1 supremo. “But the chances of that happening are zero.

“Hamilton and Mercedes could have filed a lawsuit against the FIA after the not very clean 2021 finale in Abu Dhabi.”

Since last August, Massa has refuted claims that his legal fight is motivated by money on numerous occasions, insisting that his main goals are justice for himself and the sport.

This week, the legal team representing the 42-year-old former F1 driver ramped up its efforts in an attempt to hold F1 and the FIA accountable for their actions in 2008. They did this by sending preservation orders to all parties involved in the incident, requesting that they preserve all records relevant to the case.

Ferrari, Renault, previous ING sponsor of Renault, former team manager Briatore, Symonds, and sporting director Steve Nielsen are among the recipients. Additionally, Massa’s attorneys are trying to get Lewis Hamilton to back their client.

“He is an important ambassador for the sport and has always defended sporting integrity,” said Bernardo Viana – from the Sao Paulo Vieira Rezende Advogados law firm that represents Massa in Brazil. “He is an honorary Brazilian citizen and very well-liked by Brazilians, so I hope he will support us.

“We have absolutely nothing against Hamilton.”

Leave a Reply