Sun. Nov 28th, 2021

Seven-time Formula One World Drivers’ Champion Lewis Hamilton will stay in Mercedes until 2023 after signing a two-year contract extension with the team.

“It is hard to believe it’s been nearly nine years working with this incredible team and I’m excited we’re going to continue our partnership for two more years,” said the 36-year-old British legend in a statement on Saturday. “We’ve accomplished so much together but we still have a lot to achieve, both on and off the track.”

“I’m incredibly proud and grateful of how Mercedes has supported me in my drive to improve diversity and equality in our sport. They have held themselves accountable and made important strides in creating a more diverse team and inclusive environment.”

Hamilton made his F1 debut in 2007 in McLaren and joined Mercedes in 2013. He has achieved 98 wins in his career and shared the record of claiming seven world championships with Michael Schumacher.

Earlier in 2021, Hamilton agreed to a one-year deal with Mercedes, leaving his future with the team in doubt. “It’s important we take time to evaluate, that we do what’s right for us in terms of health and mental wellbeing,” said Hamilton.

Hamilton is currently No. 2 on the championship standings table following Max Verstappen of Red Bull Racing. “Now we are having this tight battle it has brought me closer to the team, it’s making me dig deeper and I love that, it has reinvigorated the love that I have for the sport.”

Staying in Mercedes until at least 2023 means Hamilton is ready to face the possible challenges brought by an overhaul in F1’s technical regulations in 2022. F1 may go through a complete reboot after that.

“As we enter a new era of F1 from 2022 onwards, there can be no better driver to have in our team than Lewis. His achievements in this sport speak for themselves, and with his experience, speed and race-craft, he is at the peak of his powers,” said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.

“This is fantastic news for Formula One and I am delighted that Lewis will stay in F1 for at least another two years. What he has achieved in this sport is incredible and I know he has more to come. He is a global superstar on and off the race track and his positive impact on Formula One is huge,” said F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)