Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso has shown an interest in staying in Formula 1 beyond the current season.
Since returning for the 2021 Formula 1 season, the Spaniard has constantly demonstrated that he has not lost any of his skills or guile, luring him back with the promise of a rule reform. He appears to have improved with age, much like an excellent wine.
On the all-time number of Formula 1 race entries, Alonso is second only to the now-retired Kimi Räikkönen, having competed from 2001 until 2018, before returning with Alpine in 2021.
With a slew of highly-touted young guns rising through the ranks, it’s understandable that members of the Australian press were eager to find out when (Alpine reserve driver) F1 champion Oscar Piastri might make the jump to a full-time seat, but Alonso has made it clear that he has no intention of doing so anytime soon.
Alpine has Esteban Ocon under contract until 2024, and it also has Oscar Piastri, a highly-rated teenager, on its books as a backup driver. Piastri won consecutive Formula 3 and Formula 2 titles, and he plans to put in a lot of track time in private test days this year.
Piastri’s future is seemingly related to Alonso’s, although he stated on Friday that he has no plans to retire from Formula One beyond 2022.
“I think obviously if I was 25 there will not be this talk [over the future], it’s an age thing, that people try to find a way for the young talents, but I think this is about performance,” Alonso said.
“Last year I think I did well, I finished slightly in front of Esteban, let’s see this year how the battle goes.”
“But this is about performance not about age, as I said, at the beginning of the year, I still feel competitive and fast and feel I am enjoying time in Formula 1.”
“I will race I guess a couple more years, two or three more years, if it is with Alpine it will be good, if it is with another team it will be good as well, but I will find out and I will start these discussions probably in summer and let’s see.”