Stefano Domenicali, the sport’s CEO, thinks that Formula 1 will return to Saudi Arabia.

We reported earlier this week that drivers were looking forward to post-race talks with F1 management following the terror attacks in Jeddah during free practice at the neighboring circuit last Friday.

Valtteri Bottas stated, “Formula 1 has agreed to review their choices for several grand prix.”

But, as Domenicali stood in Las Vegas this week to announce a third Formula One Grand Prix in the United States for next year, he dismissed rumors that Saudi Arabia may lose its event.

“We have talked about the fact that this country has certain problems,” F1 President Stefano Domenicali said.

“But I believe sports in general and Formula 1 in particular will draw the necessary attention to these problems and get the momentum in the right direction.”

“We are not involved in politics, but I believe that sport will help a country that wants to change its culture,” he added.

“We must do our part, so we stay. We are confident that we can shape a better future together.”

Meanwhile, Saudi sport minister Abdulaziz bin Turki Al Faisal said the government is willing to provide “guarantees” to ensure the safety of Formula 1 teams and drivers.

So, with Saudi Arabia seeming certain to stay, Las Vegas joining the calendar in 2023, Qatar’s new agreement starting in 2023, and China eventually returning to F1, there are whispers that Spa, Paul Ricard, and possibly Monaco may potentially be in jeopardy.

However, Formula One’s new strategy hasn’t won over everyone.

“Should we be going to countries like Saudi Arabia?” wondered Gaetan Vigneron, the veteran correspondent for the Belgian broadcaster RTBF. “Stefano Domenicali says we go there to help them open up a little more, even if there are things that are obviously totally unacceptable.”

“Would be get more done by not going there? Maybe, maybe not,” he added.

Leave a Reply

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

%d bloggers like this: