Williams CEO Jost Capito has indicated they’re preparing for life after George Russell with a “long list” of replacement drivers being lined up. Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff is facing increased questions on what he plans to do with his driver line-up next season.
Lewis Hamilton has already committed to a new two-year deal, meaning he will still be driving for Mercedes at 38 years of age.
Wolff has had to deal with more queries on Bottas’ future at Mercedes heading into the summer break.
But the Mercedes chief has been open in the fact that Russell is definitely in the running for a seat alongside Hamilton.
Speaking on Friday ahead of the British Grand Prix spint race, Wolff admitted that contract conversations will be held during the August summer break.
“I think it’s important for George and Valtteri to know whether they’ll be driving next year and that’s, that’s gonna happen,” said Wolff on Friday.
“I expect some questions in Spa.”
Russell’s contract at Williams expires at the end of the year and Capito had previously expressed his hope in tying the British driver down to a new deal.
But the Williams CEO has now indicated they’re now preparing for life without Russell.
Nico Hulkenberg has not held a permanent F1 seat since the 2019 season, but has made no secret of his desire to change that.
He’s currently a reserve driver at Aston Martin this year, but there could be a few seats available next season.
And Capito has confirmed that Hulkenberg is among several drivers Williams are looking at should they need to replace Russell.
“I think at the moment we do not exclude any driver who would be available for next year. Nico is available for next year,” Capito told The Race.
“So we’ve got quite a long list.”